Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Leaving

Back in 2008, I do not really remember the moment that I decided to become a teacher.
I could probably look back at this blog and find the day.
But I do remember the day I decided to quit my job back in November 2008.
My supervisor had just informed me that they "understood my tragedy" but it would be "unfair to my team" for me to have the same work-from-home day each week in order to attend grief counseling.
I happily quit. I wanted to scream it at them.
I only had one close friend on my team.  [Side note: when I later asked a few others on the team, they said they would have totally understood.]
On November 21, I went into the office for one last day to hand over my computer, my documents, and my emails.
To say goodbye.

But I left with a smile on my face.
I was relieved.
I had made the right decision.
I had a few friends at work but only one good friend.
Only a few keep in touch now.


This week is the end of my first internship.
I had to hold back the tears as I said thanks to my supervising teacher.
The team I worked with is amazing.
They support each other especially in times of sadness.
They work together to help the students.

I feel like I am part of a family there.
Administration is supportive of the teachers.
Most of the students are good kids.
I can relate to the other teachers.
I feel like we could be really good friends.
Leaving is the last thing I want to do.

Yes I am applying for a job there.
But in the mean time, I must say goodbye.
Very very sadly.

4 comments:

Janine said...

Sorry that the end of your internship has come, but praying that they see how valuable you are and hire you!
: )

Mrs E said...

good luck with your new journey... I hope you find yourself a part of a family (at work) soon- whether it be that school, or another.

I work in a small school and we love each other like family, we fight like family, we help each other and annoy each other like family. It really can be quite nice.

Jen said...

Star~

Isn't it amazing that a business, company, etc. can make or break a person's spirit?!

The sad part, that the "big meanies" don't even realize~ is if they treat you with respect, and understanding, you will rise above and WAY beyond for them...always!

They have an opportunity to have a stellar employee in return, but they shoot it down.

It always amazes me that companies are blind to that fact, they remain close minded.

Thinking of you, and want to thank you once again for sharing your journey with us.

Your blog is one of my very favorite to read. Even if I am busy, I stop what I am doing, and take the time (that most times I don't have) when you post.

I am sorry I can't comment more, but most times after I read, I am running back to what I was supposed to be doing =)

I hope you are having a happy holiday season!

Jen

Ms. Dutton said...

I can't tell you how I happy I am that you had such a wonderful first internship experience.... So many of friends (still in Tallahassee) were not as lucky, and now question whether or not they want to continue on that path. You're going to be an absolutely amazing teacher, and I hope you find a school that half the passion for education that you do! I'd love to sit in on your class one day! :)